Sunday, February 06, 2011

PUKE!

Carter puked for the first time ever last night.  He actually puked two three four seven times.

Seriously…this kid is 5 1/2 years old and has never thrown up before.  Were we the luckiest parents in the world or what?

OK, so that’s not entirely true. He threw up once when he was roughly one year old. He had a double ear infection and was given the antibiotic Augmenten.  It made him sick to his stomach and threw up once, we never gave him anymore of the stuff, end of story.

So anyway, back to last night (as if you are dying to hear all the details).  Shortly after putting Carter to bed, he came out of his room complaining of a tummy ache. I snuggled with him for a while and so did Ben.  Being totally exhausted from driving in hazardous snow conditions all afternoon, I went off to bed.  Ben woke me around 11pm saying poor Carter threw up everywhere and he needed help cleaning up.  

Ben was awesome. He had already stripped the bed and gotten Carter out of his nasty PJs and was tending to Carter in the bathroom.   Me? I’m terrible with vomit.  I violently gag if I have to clean up cat puke.  I absolutely cannot handle the sound of someone else throwing up.  And now, with my overactive sniffer (thanks pregnancy hormones) I have to go into a room and clean up birthday cake laced puke from the carpet? Yikes.

Suck it up, Carla!  What kind of a mom are you??

I got the room all cleaned up and Ben got Carter all cleaned up.   Having never done this before, Carter did not understand what happened.  He said something to Ben along the lines of, “ Daddy, that was terrible. I didn’t like that at all.

I spent the rest of the night running between the laundry machine and Carter’s room.   Fortunately, he picked up pretty quickly to the concept of getting it into the bucket.

Sometime around 4:30 am, he said to me, “I’m having a pretty rough night, aren’t I?”

Poor kid.  If he/his room hadn’t smelled so bad, I might have snuggled longer with him.

PS – I don’t recommend realizing you are missing a critical piece to your carpet steam cleaner AFTER your child has thrown up all over his bedroom carpet. 

1 comment:

Lara said...

We've had those nights and they aren't any fun! Really hope whatever he had isn't contagious (sp?).