Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday Supper #2

This week's dinner suggestion is a favorite at our house. I don't make it very often but when I do it's always a hit. This is a recipe from Cooking Light: Super Fast Suppers. I wouldn't exactly call it "light" especially if you are generous with the cheese and sour cream. And I wouldn't call it "super fast." If you are like me and use fresh peppers instead of frozen, it's a little more time consuming to do all the chopping. But, it's certainly an easy dinner. And more importantly, super delicious.

I have included the orginal recipe below and then beneath that I have included some of the things that I have done to "tweak" the original to our liking.



Chicken-Pepper Tostadas

Yield - 4 servings (serving size: 1 tostada)

4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
Cooking spray
12 ounces frozen pepper stir-fry
12 ounces chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 1/2 teaspoons salt-free Mexican seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar or part-skim mozzarella cheese

Preheat broiler.

Place tortillas on a baking sheet; lightly coat each tortilla with cooking spray. Broil 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp, turning once; set aside. Place pepper stir-fry in a colander. Rinse in cold running water 30 seconds or until peppers thaw; drain well, and pat dry. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add pepper stir-fry; sauté 4 minutes. Add chicken, seasoning, salt, and red pepper. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is done. Top each tortilla with 1/2 cup chicken mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts.

A couple of changes that I do from the original recipe:

  • I use flour tortillas as we don't like corn tortillas very much. When broiling the flour tortillas, you have to be very careful not to burn them...it's more like 1 minute a side, not the 4 you would need with the corn tortillas.
  • I use fresh bell peppers and onion in lieu of the frozen pepper stir-fry. 3 bell peppers plus 1 medium onion is probably more than the recipe would call for but we like the extra veggies.
  • I always have sour cream and salsa on hand for topping.
  • And, finally, the recipe says it yields 4 servings...no way, not unless you are serving something else. Ben and I each eat two.

No comments: