Friday, June 26, 2009

A Couple of Carter Stories

I need to find a way to download my brain to Blogger. While I'm putting Carter to bed (during the quiet time that I lie down with him) I compose smart, witty, entertaining blog posts in my head. Then I get distracted and forget them before I take the time to sit down and blog. Ah well...

Tonight, I do have a couple of humorous Carter stories to share.

This morning during breakfast I was reading the news on my computer. Of course the big story was Michael Jackson's passing. Included with the story was a picture. Carter looked over my shoulder and said, "Mommy, that's a scary looking lady." Oh boy, isn't it ever!

When I picked up Carter from school today, one of his teachers (Melanie) told me that Carter invited her home with him to sleep in his bed with him under the covers. OK, so I just learned some things about my son: he's not afraid to ask a girl out and he likes older women. Then this evening as I'm putting Carter to bed, he tells me that when Melanie comes over to sleep with him, I am not allowed to be in the room. Hmmm...I'm not ready for this stuff, yet.

Carter has been much more aware of his dreams lately. Maybe they've only just started or maybe this is just the age that kids become aware of them, I'm not sure. Of course, along with dreams come nightmares. A common one for Carter is a growling sheep outside his window (tricky since it's the second floor, but that doesn't seem to matter). It's hard for me not to laugh when he tells me about the scary dreams. Does that make me a bad mother? What is so cute is that he calls dreams "movies in his eyes."

Lately, I've been reading a lot of Berenstain Bears books to Carter at bedtime. I've been OK with that as I think they are good books that teach a lesson (manners, healthy eating habits, the golden rule, telling the truth, etc). But tonight, I finally had to put my foot down. Carter wanted me to read the same three books that I have read to him every night this week: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food, The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies, and The Berenstain Bears and the Bedtime Battles. These are long books and he knows them so well now that he notices if I try to skip a sentence. The kid just won't let me get a break!

Well, I'm off to bed myself. It amazes me how this family gets to bed earlier on Friday than any other day of the week.

No comments: