Thursday, August 27, 2009

Carter - 4 Years


Dear Carter,

Today you are four. I know I sound cliche, but the time has just flown by. I still think of you as my baby but you are far, far from it.

It's been a big year for you. You are likely not going to remember all of the places that we have visited in the last year of your life. Bruges, Strasbourg, Prague, Nuremberg, Berlin, Lake Constance, Neuschwanstein Castle, Ravensberger Spieleland, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Tel Aviv.

You passed your German proficiency exam at school and you took swimming lessons. You traded in your toddler bed for your big boy bed. You became toilet trained. You still have very little interest in writing or coloring, or crafts in general. But you do seem to have an aptitude for math related things and you love sorting and organizing your Legos. Some of your favorite toys are still Lightning McQueen, but you have also expanded to Bob the Builder and all things Lego related. You are obsessed with Berenstain Bears books and Richard Scarry books.

One of the favorite things for me is watching you and Daddy do Legos together and watch Star Wars. The two of you have become best buddies this year.

For the better part of the year you had an orange baseball cap attached to your head. You loved it because it had the Ford logo on it. You actually think that Mommy and Daddy working at Ford is really cool and you've asked to come to work with us. You want to come see all the Fords in the parking lot.

You are an extremely picky eater and really only have a handful of things that you eat. If you had your choice, you could eat cream cheese and crackers and yogurt for almost every meal. Your other stand-bys are black bean burritos, chicken nuggets, and fish sticks. After numerous trips to Ikea, you started eating hot dogs. You have been making great progress in the last month with trying new foods. A surprising new hit with you is meatloaf. Daddy is doing a great job of getting you to try new vegetables...cucumbers and bell peppers are your latest. Of course there are some kids' standards that you refuse to eat like macaroni & cheese and peanut butter & jelly.

Sometimes you say the funniest things (see Penis Store here and Baby Store here). In fact just the other day, you had another great one:

Me - Carter would you like some more cereal.

Carter - No thanks. I have to get dressed. I have a really busy day.

Some of my favorite sayings you have are: "You are frustrating me," "Who put that there?," "Who did that?," or "I have a good idea."

You are growing so big but you are still small enough for me to snuggle. Soon I think that you will not put up with me so much. You are still very affectionate and love to hug and kiss us. One day this will stop and it will break my heart.

This morning you were already talking about your 5th birthday. Oh, I wish you would just slow down this whole growing up business.

No comments: